Tuesday, December 3, 2013

First beeswax cast

We did the first casting in beeswax today!!!!
It turned out pretty well. There were a few small blemishes one being an eyelid and the other in the neck. All things considered I am pretty happy with it. Everything can be fixed.

Thinking about not painting this one and just painting the next one instead.  The mold should last a while so I am going to cast a few of them.
Blanket mold turned out. Anna showed me how to patch thin spots so next time I make one
I will know how.

Getting all strapped up for pouring the beeswax

Here is the first pour attempt. The bottom right of the neck did not cast and also the eyelid you can see on the right did not form. These should be easy patches. The lines in the forehead are from pouring the wax in layers as it was hardening. They can be easily smoothed out. I cut a piece of wax for a replacement eyelid I will be reattaching later. I am considering leaving the piece white for melting and painting a second piece. Pretty happy overall with this as my first cast of my first bust ever.  First time in wax and first time learning to do a mold like this (thanks to Anna)

To show the cut off of the head at the moment

Lines in the forehead. Easily smoothable though.

EAR!!! also small seem line  easily fixable

I cut off the ponytail of my original for casting. purposes. It would look less awkward with
some sort of hairlne in the back or a pony tail. Could add later if I wanted but I believe I will
be filming this from the front.

Anna inspecting the head while it is still warm

Just took lots of photos. I was pretty excited

Except for that eyelid I am very happy with how these eyes turned out. Very shiny and smooth.
It is making me reconsider if I want to use my resin eyes at all for this version.

Clay head in the background. Mold also in the background. It is a messy process but I cleaned
up afterwards. haha.

One more photo straight on. Excited for this project.

Anna with my head after I attempted to take her photo with my phone cutting off several times.
Thank you Anna for all of your help with my mold!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. Looking good. For those two minor inconsequential errors, I think it's pretty impressive. Good work.